It always surprises me the extent to which people (yes!  people in
general) over-simplify complex things.  One of my pet peeves is the
conviction that religion is identical with belief or doctrine.

Most religion is an individualized convolution of belief and practice.
It's not merely belief and it's not merely practice.  The extent to
which any individual's religion is belief vs. practice varies dramatically.

So, to people like Doug, I can justifiably counter that religion is not
(merely) reducible to belief or faith.  And we know he already knows
this by his statement that Islam was tightly woven into the fabric of
western Libya.  Yet, he contradicts himself almost immediately and
claims that religion (yes, all religion, everywhere and everyone)
requires faith.  Which is it?  Can religion be woven deeply into one's
actions?  Or not?  And if not, then how deeply can a religion be woven
into the actions of animals?  What is the most habitual, instinctively,
epigenetic(?) action into which religion can be woven?

The answer is simple: some of us weave thought into our actions more
than others.  Some religious people hold faith more central to their
religion and some hold practice as more central.

I posit that those scientists who self identify as religious hold
doctrine as _less_ central to their religion than practice.  Interacting
with the real world probably takes precedence over navel-gazing.  I.e.
Hanging out with their group singing songs and eating cookies is more
important than the definition of God.  (I'd contrast this with, say,
mathematicians who self identify as religious. ;-)

Anyway, this is why I chose to quote Nick's comment. ;-)  Faith is just
an idea ... a thought.  To claim that faith always lies somewhere down
there is to claim that our universe is somehow _rooted_ in or at least
heavily dependent on thought.  I disagree completely.  I believe in
zombies.  I believe animals exist who either have no thoughts or in whom
thought is purely epiphenomenal.  These animals do not require faith at
any layer.

--
glen