The faith discussion seemed to fall apart, but might now be pulling itself back
together - hence the slight subject change.

One variant of the pragmatic dictum, using James's catchy phrasing, is that
"There is no difference that doesn't make a difference." In this particular
situation, the there is no "I have faith that" which doesn't have imply "doing
y will have z consequence". Now, it is certainly might be possible that the
consequence of your faith do not include a particular type of outcome that
someone else thinks should be logically consequent; i.e., it is possible your
faith that P is true is separate from your faith that a particular event E will
happen. However, it is not possible that your "faith that P is true" is
completely disconnected from your faith that certain events will occur under
certain circumstances. Perhaps the circumstances are unlikely to occur, perhaps
the relevant circumstances are so far in the future or past as to be barely
worth discussing in the present (outside of conversations like this), but
ultimately "There is no difference that doesn't make a difference." People with
Faith in P must be different in some set of circumstances from people without
Faith in P, or there is no difference between having and not-having such faith.

By the way, one interesting move someone could make in this conversation would
be to claim that the crucial difference is that they claim to have Faith in P
when asked. (This is, for example, how a subset of Christian's understand their
"forgiveness" clause.) If that were accepted as true, then we would have to
accept that there was no difference between "having Faith in P" and
"claiming-to-have Faith in P" - you know, because if there is no difference
then there is no difference. Thus, though that move might be tempting, the
consequence is probably unpalatable to most. .

Eric

On Wed, Sep 26, 2012 01:20 AM, Russ Abbott <russ.abb...@gmail.com> wrote:

>I've never spent much time studying modal logic. The
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doxastic_logic> version of faith that I pointed
to in the Stanford Encyc of Phil article is a model logic version. Your example
sentences are overflowing with modal modifiers. Personally I don't see why I
wouldn't agree to the sentences in your example. But as I've said before, we
seem to be mixing a number of different senses of "faith." To have faith that P
(is true) is different from to have faith that event E will happen.

<http://ssrn.com/abstract=1977688>
>  Google voice: 747-999-5105
>>  Google+: <https://plus.google.com/114865618166480775623/>
>
>>  vita:  <http://sites.google.com/site/russabbott/>
>
>>  <http://cs.calstatela.edu/wiki/> and the courses I teach
>

>>On Tue, Sep 25, 2012 at 9:29 PM, Nicholas  Thompson <<#>> wrote:
>

>If it is true that,
>

>"Russ believes that his old and broken down motorcycle "can" take him from A
>
>to B, but he doesn't have faith that it "will""
>

>Can it also be true that Russ doubt whether his ... motorcycle can take him
>
>from A to B?   Is it the case that, on your understanding, doubt and belief
>
>can exist in a person at the same time with respect to the same proposition?
>

>Nick

Eric Charles
Assistant Professor of Psychology
Penn State University