The 1 & 2 party systems are the only ones avoiding the pitfalls of Arrow's
Impossibility Theorem.

http://www.udel.edu/johnmack/frec444/444voting.html

But what about 2.5 parties?  By this I mean guys running but with no
possibility of winning .. the so called third party candidates in the US?

They are often seen as spoilers, by taking away votes from the two possible
candidates in a 2 party system.

But to the point, No I don't think China's system is the future.  The world
appears to like multiparty systems, increasingly with "fair voting" tossed
in with some sort of recursive run-off schemes.

So I wonder what's it like in a true multi-party system like most of Europe
has?  Is it effective? interesting? confusing? fun? Are the populations
aware of Arrow?  Does it avoid grid-lock?

   -- Owen