I'll comment again that in 1960 in Italy I was at first intrigued that
parties actually stood for something, whereas Republicans and Democrats
seemed Tweedledum and Tweedledee. However, at least at that time, Italian
politics was pretty dysfunctional in part because the hard ideological
positions of the many parties prevented compromise, and compromise is at
the heart of functional politics.

Given our current situation in the US, gridlock would seem to be a property
of hard positions, independent of how many parties there are.

And Italian politics is still dysfunctional.....

Bruce