Owen,
A math prof here gives good "election year" math club talk and covers Arrow's
work. While Arrow is quite correct that: "democracy is mathematically
arbitrary." It is also pretty easy to demonstrate that "vote for one person and
the plurality wins everything" is the worst option. If you take any of the
other systems, you can create scenarios in which someone wins who seems like
they shouldn't, but those problems occur in a small and specifiable set of
possible outcomes.  The example on the website is well-crafted to make each
system pick a different candidate, but usually there would be good agreement
between the methods. (Hey, that sounds like a simulation project!)

Eric

P.S. Having watched from afar, I really like some of the effects of the British
multi-party system. I like that coalitions must be formed between different
sides, which requires finding common ground, and allowing multiple sets of
priorities to influence legislation. Of course, it still usually seems like
some party is getting screwed and treated unfairly, but at least it is a
smaller percentage of the people.

On Thu, Nov  8, 2012 11:36 AM, Owen Densmore <o...@backspaces.net> wrote:
>The 1 & 2 party systems are the only ones avoiding the pitfalls of Arrow's
Impossibility Theorem.
>><http://www.udel.edu/johnmack/frec444/444voting.html>
>

>>But what about 2.5 parties?  By this I mean guys running but with no
possibility of winning .. the so called third party candidates in the US?

>>They are often seen as spoilers, by taking away votes from the two possible
candidates in a 2 party system.

>>But to the point, No I don't think China's system is the future.  The world
appears to like multiparty systems, increasingly with "fair voting" tossed in
with some sort of recursive run-off schemes.

>>So I wonder what's it like in a true multi-party system like most of Europe
has?  Is it effective? interesting? confusing? fun? Are the populations aware
of Arrow?  Does it avoid grid-lock?

>   -- Owen
>

>On Thu, Nov 8, 2012 at 1:54 AM, Jochen Fromm <<#>> wrote:
>

>>I watched the party congress in China today and thought what a difference to
the US election. In the US there was a year long multi billion dollar campaign
for each party, in China none at all. In the US we have a simple two party
system, in China a single party system. What do you think? Is China's model the
future?

>>-J.
>>

>>>Sent from Android

Eric Charles