Good info, thanks.  Yeah, I'm starting to get serious about paying Dropbox
or one of the others.

One downside of the more automatic systems (I think) is that you don't get
a shell that you can run backup scripts on.  Why would I want to backup
Dropbox?  Well, the speed of the backbone network is really fast, so
nightly mirroring your system onto AZ for example is fast, and their
storage is quite cheap.

I've also started thinking more seriously about RAID .. basically redundant
mirrored disks.  Drobo was the first to offer consumer systems.  Synology
has also appeared on the scene at some pretty reasonable price points.
 Pogue has an article or two on these.

So after a bit of research, I decided on a 2TB pair of 3.5" disks in a
Synology enclosure.  It can be run as an attached system or a NAS .. I'll
do the latter most likely.

The main advantage is that if one of the disks go, you have another which
hopefully you can depend on until you get a replacement for the one down
disk.  I chose the so-called "red" or "server grade" disks which I hope
will last a couple of years .. by then SSD's will have taken over and I
believe they can be made even more robust and a hell of a lot faster.

   -- Owen