I'll put in my two cents.

All the files I care about are on a Mac, so I use Arq, which backs up to
Amazon's S3 and Glacier services. There are two levels of S3 service which vary
in their redundancy. The higher level (S3 standard storage) claims:
Designed for 99.999999999% durability and 99.99% availability of objects over a
given year.
Designed to sustain the concurrent loss of data in two facilities.

The price is now $.095 per gigabyte per month. I have watched it go down from
$.15 to $.095, but it may not be going down as fast as hard drive prices.

Amazon's Glacier storage is $.01 per gigabyte per month, but it has a time
delay on recovery (about 4 hours, enough time for the gerbils to mount a tape).
It can get expensive to move a lot of data in and out of Glacier, but it is
fine for long time storage.

So now I have my home folder tree on Time Machine and Amazon S3. I have a music
and old data (carried forth from PC to PC since the late 80's) on Glacier, so
for most of my data (but not bought applications) I have copies 1) on my Mac,
2) on my Time Machine, and 3) on S3 and Glacier offsite.

The next problem is if (when) I have to reduce the amount of data on my Mac
(when going to SSD, possibly) I will need a place for the data moved off my Mac
and my Tiime Machine. I probably will go with a Drobo, which has a good bit of
redundancy and which would require only a Glacier backup ($10.00 per terabyte
per month) .

I am putting some faith in Amazon, but their record is so far quite good, and a
disk in a safety deposit box, at least in my case, would be updated rarely if
at all.

--Barry