On 2/7/13 10:54 PM, Bruce Sherwood wrote:
To repeat, Windows for my 3D graphics development purposes has been far more stable than either Mac or Ubuntu Linux.
Windows is the biggest market for gamers. 3D innovation has historically always been first on WIndows. If all you want a computer to do is a fixed set of 2d and 3d graphics APIs, then, sure, use Windows. But performance and stability are only two dimensions.

I care much more about flexibility than stability or graphics performance. For example, I want to use GPUs for accelerated computation. It is inappropriate in my situation to code using unportable (CUDA) or crudely simple APIs like OpenCL. That's no way to write complex, long-lived, maintainable software. It could be a way to write simple, static, scientific codes that perform on particular cards, if that's all you need to do. I want the possibility of *some* acceleration over generations of cards, not peak performance for one generation.

AMD GPUs on Linux now have the driver bits (in Mesa, a free OpenGL) and compiler bits in LLVM (a free compiler). Together there's now the possibility of integrating real compilers with accelerator technology. On Windows, this kind of integration and experimentation is not possible.

Now fast forward to the day this all just works. Someone writes a code using these compiler tools, but, oops there's a strange anomaly in a particular calculation. How do you fix it? Get your favorite bloggers to complain in a public setting? No thanks, I want direct control. That means source code.

Marcus