Although it might seem that I would have a similar view as Bruce since we both
support 3D graphics for educational purposes, my experience is exactly the
opposite of Bruce's. I have to support thousands of mostly CS students and
various professionals every year. Windows is an absolute nightmare for me to
support with somewhat linux behind that. I have never had a problem on a Mac
that wasn't my own error.

Maybe the difference is that the majority of my users use C/C++. Incompatible
versions of DirectX, changes in Visual Studio, coupled with driver issues from
third party graphics boards and dealing with 32 and 64 bit architectures makes
it almost impossible to give a single set of instructions on how to get an
OpenGL program running. If I get someone going on a 32 bit build, that may not
work for 64 bits on the same machine. We even had to add a line in one of our
libraries that sets a single element of a small array to 0.0 because of a
driver bug in an AMD driver.

The problems with linux have usually been simpler to deal with, usually
involving where each one puts the "standard" libraries or how they are named.

I used to recommend and do my own development using linux under Windows but
that got worse with problems of dealing with dynamic vs dynamic libraries.

If I didn't have to do so much support for my textbook and was only doing my
own work, then there would be some attraction to Windows such as the ability to
access the latest hardware. Apple sometimes infuriates me by its slowness hand
secrettness in keeping up with graphics standards but when they do upgrade, the
software is correct and works across their hardware and versions of OSX..

Ed

Ed Angel

Founding Director, Art, Research, Technology and Science Laboratory (ARTS Lab)
Professor Emeritus of Computer Science, University of New Mexico

1017 Sierra Pinon
Santa Fe, NM 87501
505-984-0136 (home)                     an...@cs.unm.edu
505-453-4944 (cell)                             http://www.cs.unm.edu/~angel