The difference is indeed that users of VPython (not me!) have no
involvement with C/C++, and no involvement with any kind of compiling.
Almost all of the VPython C++ code is platform-independent, thanks to use
of OpenGL, with no use of DirectX, and as I've said, the platform-dependent
code (make a window, handle events) has been rock-solid for 12 years on all
versions of Windows (7 of them). During that time there were repeated
problems with Mac and Linux. Maybe another difference is that in your
textbook, Ed,  handling events is a rather minor issue, so that for example
Carbon/Cocoa issues probably haven't mattered?

Changes in the Visual Studio compiler have not been a problem until just a
couple of months ago, when I had to do quite a bit of work to keep going.
The problem is that one has to compile a C++ module for Python X.Y using
the same compiler that was used to build that version of Python. In the
case of 64-bit Python on Windows, that compiler is a rather old version of
Visual Studio which required arcane edits of various Visual Studio
configuration files on my machine.

Bruce