Doug -

I think you are reaching here...
I've always said that. Ask anybody, they'll tell you. They'll say, that Roberts guy is /*always*/ saying,/ "it is unfortunate that enthymeme resolution is treated as a kind of presumptive meaning determination". /

It fact, it's been pointed out to that I say this so often, it's almost become my meme. So I think I'll stop saying it.
...As in reaching around behind yourself and grabbing your "abduction" in both hands...

I loved this excerpt from the Wikipedia link to "Abductive Reasoning":

   Abduction:  The term was first introduced by the American
   philosopher Charles Sanders Peirce
   <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Sanders_Peirce> (1839--1914)
   as "guessing".

And of course, an enthymeme is:

   an informally stated syllogism
   <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syllogism> (a three-part deductive
   argument <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logical_argument>) with an
   unstated assumption that must be true for the premises to lead to
   the conclusion part of the argument is missing because it is assumed.

and... to elaborate further:

   Aristotle <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aristotle>, who defined it
   in his /Rhetoric
   <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhetoric_%28Aristotle%29>/, an
   enthymeme was a "rhetorical syllogism
   <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syllogism>" which was based on
   probable opinions, thus distinguishing it from a scientific
   syllogism. It is aimed at persuasion
   <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Persuasion> while scientific syllogism
is aimed at demonstration <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apodicticity>

*I* do find unpacking Glen's obscure linguistic constructs both informative and entertaining. I think you'll be seeing a lot more references to "/abduction/" on the list now, if not the /enthymemetic conjugation of multipart syllogisms/ within the context of the larger /semantic tableaux/.

(+1 for Glen's taglines)
- Steve