1. Is your 3TB drive off-site? Offsite backup is the problem to be solved, IMHO.
2. I imagine that the probability that your 3TB drive will be alive and
functional in a year is less than 99.999999999% (not that I fully believe
Amazon's claims, but they do monitor their disks and move the data when the
error rate hits a certain threshold).
3. If my data is off-site, I want it encrypted. I'm not sure how to do that
with rsync. We do use rsync nightly, however, to update our CTAN mirror.

--Barry