Doug -

Thanks for weighing in here... as an aside, I skimmed "Garden World" and found it compelling... I hope others here will take the time!

On the thread topic, it would be rather "convenient" in many ways if there were such an isomorphism as Owen seeks (postulates), but I find it to reflect a fundamental misunderstanding of "what is knowledge"?

Other parts of the thread, relating to the question of semantics begins to address this. Intuitively, it is like thinking that one can make visual art without awareness of the negative space and the context it exists in, or of writing poetry (or really anything but the driest of prose as well?) without appreciating that it much of what is being said is "between the lines".

I have a friend who wrote a program to parse and analyze the logic in Aquinas' /Summa Theologica/ and claimed to find numerous (but not outrageous) simple errors in his logic. That isn't in any way close to imagining that one could translate such a text into symbolic logic and determine anything (else) more significant from it than internal consistency and/or consistency with some external axiomatic system.

- Steve
Philosophy is very broad and includes many things like ethics and anesthetics. A good test case would be not logic, but poetry.

Blessings,
Doug
http://dougcarmichael.com
http://gardenworldpolitics.com