!Owen -

I can't wait for Marilyn Monroe (with a Groucho Marx moustache and cigar and Nick Thompson eyebrows) to break into "Happy Birthday Mr. Computer Guy!, Happy Birthday to you.... "

I have to say (Owen) that this doesn't even come close to any reality I live in:

"The general problem os software verification is not solvable by computer". (sic)

This would never work at any cocktail party I've been to... I admit it might be the simplest way of saying it that has a chance of being explained in *one more* unpacking, but is more likely to just end the conversation (young lady with Nick's eyebrows cocks her head and says "I think I hear my stock broker calling!" as she walks off). So maybe your approach to progressive disclosure is more "recursive" than "iterative". If her "Big Bold Naivete" comes with her "Nick Thompson eyebrows", she might stick around for another couple of rounds of unpacking. Like "what in heaven's name does 'software verification' have to do with anything, and why would I *care* if you can do it with a computer or not?".

In facte I would claim that *almost literally* anyone who understands your postulation:

"The general problem os software verification is not solvable by computer".

agrees with it, and anyone who doesn't probably has *virtually* no clue what you are talking about?

I admit that Nick (in Marilyn drag) has set you up a little by using words like HALTING, suggesting the (s)he has a more familiar vocabulary/lexicon than in fact (s)he probably does. I suppose anyone who knows the technical definition of "halting" probably already understands the phrase:

Beyond this, I don't understand why someone (Owen?) would understand this phrase:

   "The general problem os software verification is not solvable by
   computer".  (sic)

yet would imagine that the rigorous methods of computer science would put Philosophical questions to bed. I'd suggest that *most* of Philosophy has been hand-verifying programs written in logic, classifying them, and creating an (ever growing?) bin of "quite possibly undecidable" (but non-trivial and interesting) statements. I sense that you (Owen) don't agree/believe that this ever-growing bin is a *result* of the application of very formal methods (although driven by intuition and executed in psuedo-natural language) rather than *in spite of* the same?

- Steve

"But Mr. Densmore:  what is the problem of software verification."

I would bat my eyes, by my eyebrows would get in the way.

Nick