Owen,

I wish we could drag Frank into this conversation, because he is the only
person we know who stands firmly in both worlds.

So, Owen, you meet a beautiful woman at a cocktail party.  She seems
intelligent, not a person to be fobbed off, but has no experience with
either Maths or Computer Science.  She looks deep into your eyes, and asks
"And what, Mr. Densmore, is the halting problem?"  You find yourself torn
between two impulses.  One is to use the language that would give you
credibility in the world of your mentors and colleagues.  But you realize
that that language is going to be of absolutely no use to her, however ever
much it might make you feel authoritative to use it.  She expects an answer.
Yet you hesitate.  What language do you use?

You would start, would you not, with the idea of a "problem."  A problem is
some sort of difficulty that needs to be surmounted.  There is a goal and
something that thwarts that goal.  What are these elements in the halting
PROBLEM?    And why is HALTING a problem?

Nick