Russ asks:

> Is there a mechanistic-type explanation for how forces work? For example,
> two electrons repel each other. How does that happen? Other than saying
> that there are force fields that exert forces, how does the electromagnetic
> force accomplish its effects. What is the interface/link/connection between
> the force (field) and the objects on which it acts. Or is all we can say is
> that it just happens: it's a physics primitive?

I have the impression that the best you can say is that fields act on fields;
fields are (the
only) first-class objects, and what you're calling "objects" are at best
second-class--they
are epiphenomena of fields (or, of *the* field).

There is (or was when I last tried to look into this, about 40 years ago) a
concept of
"current" (which I suppose is a generalization of our familiar "electric
current", but if so
is such a generalization that I was unable to see the connection at all) which
was in some way
involved with interactions of fields.  Maybe a Google search on current and
Jakiw would turn
up something useful, but probably not.