When I asked AskA{Mathematician,
Physicist}<http://www.askamathematician.com/> the
force question, here's the answer I got -- which includes a pointer to the
Feynman video mentioned earlier.

In quantum field theory we talk about forces being conveyed by "force
carriers".  Photons for the Electromagnetic force, W+, W-, and Z bosons for
the Nuclear Weak force, and Gluons for the Nuclear Strong force.  There's
also a theoretical particle called the "Graviton" for gravity, but there
are a lot of issues with that.

As for the more fundamental question of how those carriers do anything at
all, or why they interact with some particles but not others (e.g., photons
only interact with charged particles), there unfortunately may never be a
particularly good answer for that.

There's a video here <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MO0r930Sn_8> where
Feynman addresses (a little snarkily) this very problem.

*-- Russ Abbott*
***  Professor, Computer Science*
*  California State University, Los Angeles*

*  My paper on how the Fed can fix the economy: ssrn.com/abstract=1977688*
*  Google voice: 747-*999-5105
  Google+: plus.google.com/114865618166480775623/
*  vita:  *sites.google.com/site/russabbott/
  CS Wiki <http://cs.calstatela.edu/wiki/> and the courses I teach