Some (semi-serious) suggestions around how to split the list (use subgroups):

Philosophy
Physics of Quanta and the Continuum
Phunny stuff
Phuture trends in sociology/crowd sourcing/etc.
Sophtware
oh and... Complexity and ABM

Seems neither Mailman (the current listserv) nor Google Groups support subgroups tho'. FWIW, Lsoft's Listserve might, see http://www.lsoft.com/manuals/maestro/4.0/htmlhelp/data%20administrator/ClassicLSListTargetGroups.html - where they are called Target Groups.

Robert C