Douglas Roberts wrote at 04/25/2013 09:44 AM:
> A better question might be: why are we still teaching them these
> dishonest little fairy tales in the first place, which we then have to
> un-teach later?

I admit that's a more philosophical question, but not a better one.
It's not clear how answering that question will help address the applied
complexity problem of handling the mature organism, where these beliefs
are deeply rooted and may well affect their physiology in some way.

Harris' questions get to the root of the applied complexity problem.  Do
you tell the whole truth and nothing but the truth to a dying old
person?  If so, is that medically beneficial or detrimental?

--
=><= glen e. p. ropella
Man alive the jive and lyrics,