Parks, Raymond wrote at 04/25/2013 11:36 AM:
> We have several WWs at Sandia - I wonder how they received the news of
> their injuries? Combat injuries are surely a possible research pool to
> answer the question of tell or hide. A surgeon from either Beth Israel
> or Mass General said that marathon bombing victims were so happy to be
> alive that their limb loss didn't faze them.

That would be a great question to ask at the VFW.  Sadly, not having
served in the military makes it awkward for me to ask.  I've found the
younger vets to be more open to conversations with me.  The older ones
just clamp up and offer to buy me a beer.

I've heard some news stories about how soldiers often don't seek
treatment for PTSD due to the stigma and, to a lesser extent, the risk
of being taken off duty.  But the stigma seems more important.  That
hearsay makes me worry that machismo might prevent accurate
self-assessment of belief bubble bursting with vets.  So, a longitudinal
experiment would be appropriate, I think.  I have no idea what objective
measures of spirituality could be taken, though.

And I think it would have to be a large population, too.  I can't shake
the feeling that if there is a psychosomatic medical affect on patient
outcome, it's going to be statistically difficult to show.

--
=><= glen e. p. ropella
You gotta go where this is headed