On 5/8/13 9:06 AM, glen ropella wrote:
I share your lament about the homogenization of culture.
What is a counter example of non-homogenization of culture? It seems to suggest that culture is a thing that leads individuals, rather than individuals leading it. I've always thought of culture like education. The people that know, try to tell the people that don't know so that they don't make a mess of things. (In so doing, they may well make a mess of things themselves. Which is a possible claim about television.)

I think the efficiencies we witness, whether it is the content on television or the billions served at McDonalds or juggernauts like Costco, are just a reflection of the vast redundancy inherent in a large population. Most of that population is not in the tails, it is in the center of the distribution. Culture and education won't change that.

If anything, the problem in the U.S. is that people think their problems are unique and that their clan is special. So, we fail to factor out the common bits of everyday life into shared systems like mass transport, affordable housing, health care, etc.

There's something to be said for put up or shut up. Prove you're special. Oh, so you're not, here's a nice television for you to watch.

Marcus