On 5/8/13 12:20 PM, glen ropella wrote:
For example, it seems to me that I see 2 opposing causal flows in music. One is that in pop music, culture leads individuals. But in folk or jazz or any live-music oriented domain, it strikes me that individuals (or individual bands) lead culture.
It depends what you mean by `lead'. I'd distinguish between influence and innovate. I'd claim that culture does not innovate, it can only put down a road and encourage people to take it, and thereby set the stage for innovators. That can be useful, if the taking the path, e.g. watching the T.V. show or buying the iPhone, results in resources being reallocated to those that do innovate, e.g. writers or communication satellite engineers. A danger is that in providing a path, it decreases entropy instead of increasing it. The television screenwriter realizes there is no market for anything but CSI-type dramas, and stops working on her craft. But I think at the end of the day it matters more that she can be a professional writer at all, than that she has a market that demands novelty and sophistication.

Marcus