I think we agree on most of these points.  Another reason I like TVs is
because I'm mostly a wall flower at parties.  Smalltalk irritates me and
I only talk to people after a given party passes through that phase
transition where it ratchets down a bit and allows more intimate
conversations amongst small groups.  Until that happens, I need ways to
entertain myself.  It's for that reason I like to play old movies or
"mix videos" on the TV during parties, usually with the sound muted.
Nosferatu and Fearless Vampire Killers are favorites.  But I also have a
good set of videos from Spot Draves:

   http://scottdraves.com/

This is especially useful because I like death, speed, and heavy metal
music.  And I usually like to turn that up loud enough to prevent
conversation.  So, the TV is an integral part of any parties I throw ...
not for broadcast stations.  That means that we have an ambiguity or
equivocation in the term "TV". I used to use a LCD projector for some of
this stuff.  But with the cheap LED-LCD TVs, the picture is so much
better and the access to various TV "apps" on network enabled TVs makes
me think no digital swamp is complete without a big screen TV.

--
glen  =><= Hail Eris!