Gary -

Spinning Watzits... yes, I presume (but don't know) what all that is about is anytime the Window Manager thinks some threshold for User Interaction has been exceeded it throws up a hypnotic spinning wheel (in place of the old tumbling hourglass?) to at least acknowledge that they know they are keeping you waiting. So I am used to getting those while my cursor is in-focus on a GUI app that I *know* just asked to do something hard (like you describe with iPhoto).

The symptom I was getting with my old system (which hasn't returned quite yet) is spinning Watzits just from changing input focus from one app to another and/or doing the simplest of things inside of any given app (trying to highlight and delete a section of text in Thunderbird).

I *did* just do a little superficial research and found a *little* superficial information on OSX's VM and was reminded that OSX's version of what I know as "vmstat" is "vm_stat".

http://osxdaily.com/2010/10/08/mac-virtual-memory-swap/

Their hint about the ratio of swap-in vs swap-out was promising. Also, on my last system I was running on about 1-10 GB of free disk space most of the time. I don't know how VM Swap Space is allocated, but it might have been cut way down because of my limited free space (or it might have been holding huge amounts on principle in case it needed it?).

Amazing what happens when we start treating our "tools" as appliances? "If you can't field strip it blindfolded in a ditch, you don't own it" might be a good motto, even for computer jocks (jerks).

I have a copy of W7 to put on my PBpro and am sorting out how to manage that now... Fusion, Parallels, WINE, BootCamp? Sounds like you are happy with Fusion?

- Steve