Marcus-

When you posted the original point, I went and did some research because I had not thought much about MTBF of flash memory and SSDs before. I did not find the article you reference but did find some descriptions of SSD memory having lifetimes of order 100,000 to 1,000,000 writes which many claimed implied a lifetime of order 10 years.

I was also surprised that SSDs are (anecdotally?) prone to abrupt rather than degraded failure? I would assume that the flash memory in SSDs have roughly the same error correction/detection any memory does and that the file system/drivers would have the same opportunity to "bad block" sectons of the SSD, but according to the few descriptions of the failure modes of these systems I could find, that is apparently not the case. I have speculations about why that might be but nothing really very motivating.

I was really interested in the hybrid SSD/HD systems and found even less about them. When you put a *small* SSD (32G) piggybacked on a conventional HD, you would expect that the optimization tools would make sure that your OS, system drivers, regularly used apps would all reside there and then perhaps swap, giving you a great deal of the performance a fat SSD provided. Perhaps the drivers for these acknowledge that using an SSD for swap is just asking for early failure?

As far as I can tell, this hybrid configuration is not all that popular but I can't tell exactly why. I am guessing that maybe once someone is willing to make the leap to replace an internal drive they go the whole way for an SSD on principle?

I'm all for maxing memory, but on some old systems that means 4 or 8G.

As for batteries that won't take a charge... I *do* know this is one of the most commonly stated reasons I hear for buying a new laptop... I don't know if Apple was generating planned obselescence when they went from removable batteries to non-user-replaceable ones. Even while my charge port was degenerating to a lump of burned

I've never been shy about cracking the case on my own machines and digging through the guts as needed, but I understand why others can be shy of that. The MB Pro batteries are laughingly easy to replace, though somewhat expensive... memory and HD are equally easy (and both of them are treated as user-replaceable by warranty I think).

I don't know about the rest of you here, but I think warrantys and especially extended warrantys are tools of the devil... they keep you from even peeking under the hood, much less being willing (and therefore interested?) in repairing or upgrading anything yourself. We are becoming a culture of wimps about our own tech. I like the Maker slogan that says "if you can't open the case, you don't own it", and a friend whose first comment when he sees a new tech toy "hey, let's run that through a bandsaw and see what's inside!".

My performance problems were solved (pushed back) with 8MB of memory so I'm happy for the moment. I'm expecting that next time I feel like a HD upgrade (the one in it fails, my data hoarding and sloppy housekeeping fills it up, or I upgrade to a new machine) that SSDs will be much more affordable. Today I would have a hard time justifying the expense of something bigger than 128G which just doesn't hack it with my bad data habits... I just bumped up from 350 to 700 and the data sets I'm generating (massive photo collections, 3D point clouds and meshes generated from them, etc.) are not getting smaller, and while I do back up and even offload much of this, the "working copies" that I want with me at all times continue to expand.

- Steve