> 2) Improved access to information -- the source code, and a community
> around it.  This allows motivated individuals to educate themselves
rapidly
> about things, and to be empowered to use this information.

"It also allows us to lavish kudos on the fame-tolerant we find there.
E.g. Musk, Diamandis, Branson, Dawkins, Tyson, Lady Ada, etc.  The more we
can turn these unfortunate suckers into role models, the easier it will be
to corral the drones."

I think it is better to not deprive the drone prone of important
existential angst.  Make them sit around these people for a few days until
they lose their religion.  That won't happen if they just watch them on
TED, or in carefully produced speeches in the East Room of the White House,
or even in university lecture rooms.

> 3) A culture that has low tolerance for secrets.

"I think you might be slightly off on this one.  It's not a low tolerance
for secrets so much as a need for _qualified_ secrets.  We don't care if
you won't answer a question, as long as we're happy with _why_ you won't
answer it.  The focus is on authenticity rather than openness."

If an interface promises to do Y when it sees X, and that is tested and
declared `compliant', it doesn't tell me for sure what happens when it sees
Z, when Z is never mentioned (e.g. in the documentation).   Maybe it will
indeed again deliver Y when X is seen again, but meanwhile also deliver X
to the Mossad?  I want to see the logic that leads to Y, and see exactly
how it happens.  Otherwise all I have is a sketchy contract and it is up to
me to try to break it with Z and whatever other misuse one can think of, or
break down the obsfucated artifact (executable) into smaller bits and try
to rationalize that.  As you point out, that's different than trying to
POSIX open(2) a file and being given EPERM.   That's a refusal, but it can
be checked for consistency with other sorts of queries (e.g. stat(2)).

Marcus

http://link.mail2web.com/mail2web