Glen and Marcus -

Once again, I think you have outdone yourself on this topic... I wrote one of my long-winded missives and was about to send it when this response came in and decided not to corrupt the dialogue with (too many of) my own odd twists:

Let me just say that I think human agency (which is probably just a specific if interesting example of agency in general, of life itself) lives entirely in a high dimensional manifold of information with the implied gradients. OF COURSE we try to manipulate the channels through which information flows in our artifacts (governments, organizations, communication systems, etc.). OF COURSE we don't want other agents (especially powerful, somewhat mindless, aggregate agents, such as the NSA, Mossaud, even Google or Amazon) to have too much transparency into our own information milieu (our actions, our preferences, our desires, our intentions) nor to maintain too much opacity into theirs (especially when it references *ours*).

I very much agree with Glen's point here that it isn't open v closed, it is more/less open/closed relative to some ideal or some existing system. I don't fully appreciate Marcus response invoking A/D and D/A converters... I think the question of discrete v continuous is always an interesting one but I don't think that was Glen's point?

- Steve