Glen (and anyone else trying to follow) -

I left out an important point in all of this, I think. The work going into building "ontologies" for various (sub)domains is roughly the act of building a shared, formalized "constraint sieve". My interest is in developing a working environment for ensembles of these.

- Steve
Glen -

And just to add a completely different perspective (via a different physical system metaphor) on this topic:

As a dabbler in holography, this whole problem of a shared information mess and the idea of constraint sieves reminds me a lot of the process of recording (in a lossy way of course) the interference patterns of a coherent signal (e.g.object beam from a long-coherence length laser) bouncing off of many objects and then at a later time (re)creating the original collective wave-front from that recording.

The journalistic record, for example, is created by a host of journalists trained in a specific observational and reporting methodology (with many variations of course, especially if you include the blogosphere as "journalism"). We then read articles about events we did not experience directly and try to reconstruct an understanding of "what happened" and possibly even it's relevance to other events.

The body of scientific knowledge, ditto. Sieved through a host of scientists, their methodology(ies) and the peer-review and publication process.

For Intelligence Analysts, the same is true, but with a different (but similar) set of methodologies and access to secret (hidden from others, from most) holograms to superpose and try to find a POV to view them from and find specific hidden (obscured by intent or circumstance) information.

Thanks for sharing the "constraint sieve" description....

Carry on!
 - Steve
On 10/27/2013 06:59 PM, Arlo Barnes wrote:
On 10/27/2013 03:12 PM, Steve Smith wrote:
> Colloquially, one might simply say "one person's mess is another's
order"...

This is a good example. It seems pretty straightforward and obvious that
this is the case, but I think it has more to do with the schema for
organisation: if the schema is not open, it is hard to discern.

Or, perhaps, that schema are illusory ... they don't actually exist and are an epiphenomenon of the constraint sieve that is our (common) anatomy and physiology? If that's the case, then every person's mess is just the variance/uncertainty allowed by the (dynamic) sieve that is their body/mind. Hence, the more sieves you can chain/network together, the more orderly the mess.

Some of us, of course, resist being chained together. For example, I usually refrain from sieving someone else's mess, when I can. But because my sieve is ... uh ... coarse-grained and irregular ... when I do sieve a mess, I usually just make a bigger mess. Somehow, the input must be leaky.