>  I'm reminded of your idea of using Wiki technology (plus some
> conventions) for what you called "Noodles" or "Noodling" some time back.

Found
this<http://article.gmane.org/gmane.org.region.new-mexico.santa-fe.friam/7818/match=noodles>by
searching<http://search.gmane.org/?query=noodles+noodling&author=Thompson&group=gmane.org.region.new-mexico.santa-fe.friam&sort=revdate&DEFAULTOP=or&xP=Znoodl&xFILTERS=Gorg.region.new-mexico.santa-fe.friam-Athompson---O>.
Unfortunately the wiki directory on the sf_x
site<http://www.sfcomplex.org/>is giving me a 403. Tried Gmane after
the
list archives <http://redfish.com/pipermail/friam_redfish.com/> were not
helpful; Mailman is powerful but shows it's age.

> If you haven't already filed my e-mail in your "TLDR" (too long, didn't
> read) file but are about to

Since I do not delete anything, it is more of a "too long, will read later"
file. I will take your advice about skipping to the end as a more general
suggestion to skim, which I have done.

> Oh... and did anyone (else) notice that the website this came from was
> titled in honor of the unfortunate character "Harry Buttle" in Terry
> Gilliam's movie "Brazil"?  Very appropriate to the topic IMO.

Unfortunately, still have not seen Brazil (not to be confused with The Boys
>From Brazil) although I am a fan of Gilliam (and also Pratchett and Jones);
I have seen Time Bandits, which is presumably quite different. Anyway, the
owner of the website is apparently named Archibald "Harry" Tuttle.

> My wife and I are both very "disorderly" people when observed from the
> outside, but my wife's disorganization/disorderliness is highly functional
> (for her, if not those of us who try to function within her milieu).  My
> own disorder/disorganization is more problematic (to me as well as others
> trying to navigate my messes, including these soliloquies on FRIAM.

As someone who has been called 'OCPD' often, not unwelcomely so, I have an
interest in the formal characterisation of the psychology and utility
behind human organisation of physical and semantic objects, or lack thereof
- in specific narrow contexts. I think given a good amount of research and
thoughtwork, I could provide a point or two of perspective, if for no other
reason that although everyone has experience with this sort of thing, it is
not something that is often addressed in a technical manner.

> Colloquially, one might simply say "one person's mess is another's
> order"...

This is a good example. It seems pretty straightforward and obvious that
this is the case, but I think it has more to do with the schema for
organisation: if the schema is not open, it is hard to discern. It seems
like there could be an objective measure for the inherent-ness of the
schema, that would correlate to how easily it can be inferred by others.
Then this starts to fall into the areas of design in communications (like
you mentioned, web-pages are a good example).

Anyway, I have downloaded the PDF and will read it sometime tonight, I
think.

-Arlo