WRT password cracking - Dan Goodin has a good series of articles on password
cracking at Ars Technica.

http://arstechnica.com/security/2013/03/how-i-became-a-password-cracker/
http://arstechnica.com/security/2013/05/how-crackers-make-minced-meat-out-of-your-passwords/
http://arstechnica.com/security/2013/10/how-the-bible-and-youtube-are-fueling-the-next-frontier-of-password-cracking/

TL;DR - Current GPU-based password cracking using 20-million word dictionaries
make truly random passwords below 14 characters and nearl all pass-phrases
susceptible to cracking in a relatively short time.

On a related subject, roughly 75% of websites store passwords as nothing more
complicated than simple, unsalted MD5 hashes.  This is almost as easy to break
as as NTLM.

Salt makes the initial crack more difficult, but if the same salt is used for
all hashes, then subsequent cracks ignore it.

WRT the use of PII - it's sold on various markets, correlated in a "big data"
manner with other exposures, and, if enough information is available and the
person's credit score is high enough, is used for credit attacks.  In some
cases, if banking information is correlated, the collection is used for banking
attacks.  If there is poor correlation but an email or FQDN is in the
information, then the data may be used as a target list.

Ray Parks
Consilient Heuristician/IDART Program Manager
V: 505-844-4024  M: 505-238-9359  P: 505-951-6084
NIPR: rcpa...@sandia.gov
SIPR: rcpar...@sandia.doe.sgov.gov (send NIPR reminder)
JWICS: dopa...@doe.ic.gov (send NIPR reminder)