This is the kind of discussion that a Newly Minted Peircean, such as myself,
should be all over, but I find myself oddly (thankfully?) reticient.  My
intuition tells me that all thinking is rational - it's just that most of it
is weak or founded on truly crazy premises. Among valid inferences, Peirce
made a distinction between strong inferences (All ravens are black, this
bird is a raven, this bird is black) and weak ones such as "this bird is a
raven, this bird is black, all ravens are black" (induction)  and "this bird
is black, all ravens are black, this bird is a raven"(abduction).   But he
regarded all three as valid forms of inference.  In this spirit, I might
argue that right wing thinking is not irrational, but exceedingly weak.
But we should beware of falling for the syllogism, "This guy is wrong, all
right-wingers are wrong, this guy is a right winger" which is valid, but
horribly weak.

Nicholas S. Thompson

Clark University

 <http://home.earthlink.net/~nickthompson/naturaldesigns/>