John,

If you were attending the Zen Brain workshop at Upaya in Santa Fe (where I
teach applied complexity in the Buddhlst Chaplaincy program)--along with
some of the most famous neuroscientists in the world and Neil Theise, a
remarkable complexity guy--you might find the answer to your question.  The
workshop starts the end of January.

Merle

On Sat, Jan 4, 2014 at 6:17 AM, John Kennison <jkenni...@clarku.edu> wrote:

> I consider myself a rational person because I believe what I observe and I
> believe in what is observed by any group of people I trust (such as a near
> consensus of scientists). I further believe in whatever follows logically.
> I believe I can predict the likely consequences of my actions and this
> helps make me a reasonably happy person. Belief in God or belief in the
> inerrancy of the bible do not pass my tests. But there is scientific
> evidence that religious people are healthier and happier than non-religious
> people. This seems to be so even though people who would apparently be
> neither healthy nor happy are almost always religious. So what should I
> make of this?

Merle Lefkoff, Ph.D.
President, Center for Emergent Diplomacy
Santa Fe, New Mexico, USA
me...@emergentdiplomacy.org
mobile:  (303) 859-5609
skype:  merlelefkoff