On 01/05/2014 11:19 AM, Roger Critchlow wrote:
> Bob Altemeyer's research on right-wing authoritarian (RWA) personalities
> -- pdf at http://home.cc.umanitoba.ca/~altemey/
> <http://home.cc.umanitoba.ca/%7Ealtemey/> -- finds that high scoring
> RWAs suffer from severe cognitive disabilities which essentially render
> them immune to reason.  (Note that "right-wing" here is a technical term
> meaning "adherent of the status quo".)
>
>     But research reveals that authoritarian followers drive through life
>     under the influence
>     of impaired thinking a lot more than most people do, exhibiting
>     sloppy reasoning,
>     highly compartmentalized beliefs, double standards, hypocrisy,
>     self-blindness, a
>     profound ethnocentrism, and--to top it all off--a ferocious
>     dogmatism that makes it
>     unlikely anyone could ever change their minds with evidence or logic.

Excellent!  This helps refine "reasoning about reasoning" in the way
that worries me.  The idea being that a "brain in a vat" might still be
rational in some technical/strict sense of the word.  But that's not
what normal people mean when they _use_ the word "rational."  What
normal people mean is a combination of the ability to "think well" and
be open to multiple options.  It seems like the "openness" is the
fulcrum of the concept.

One of the aspects that worries me most is the _surety_ with which most
people go about their daily thinking.  But I find this in lots of people
who would normally be considered quite rational.  To me, it doesn't much
matter how intelligent one is, or how many facts they may claim to have
at their fingertips.  What matters is the confidence with which they
hold their own beliefs.  The more confident you are, the _less_ rational
you are.

> Just because there is a reason to be a lynch mob doesn't make a lynch
> mob reasonable.  I think you're confounding the rationality of
> explanation with the rationality of the explained.

I don't know what you mean, here, which probably means you're right
about my conflation. ;-)  The use of "reason" to mean _cause_ seems like
an abuse of the word.  So, I read what you write as "Just because there
is cause to be a lynch mob doesn't make a lynch mob reasonable."  And, I
fully agree with that rewriting.  But I don't know that's what you meant.

--
⇒⇐ glen