Marcus/Ray -

I agree wholeheartedly with both of you. I've encountered more than enough of both NIH and stubborn re-invention, especially in the Academia and the National Lab context.

This has been one of my biggest challenges as a mentor of young people who have *plenty* of book learning but not much practical experience... learning the balance between (motivated) learning and wasteful re-invention.

I am *not* a trained engineer, though a few phases of my career I have in fact done systems and software engineering. I am *most* interested in exploration, discovery, and innovation and try to arrange my work life so that such activities *are* appropriate.

Many of my (re)inventions are relatively subtle (I think). I was once trying to expand on a set of graph analysis tools to do some consistent comparison of complex graphs from a wide variety of disparate sources. No one graph library really had the full suite of tools I needed and even within a given library, the actual execution complexity (space and time) were not consistent. Where I had source to review, I discovered (unsurprisingly) that the libraries were collections thrown together from more than one source (multiple graduate projects by different students?). I even found some latent bugs in a few of them. The only way to get consistent results was to in fact re-implement these algorithms. This was well over 10 years ago before graph analysis became so "en vogue".

What I tripped over in the process was the "Tree Heap" or "Treap"... but I didn't trip over it by doing research... i tripped over it by *needing* a data structure that had those properties, so I ended up building one from whole cloth... only to discover months later that such an data structure had already been devised. To add insult to injury, a few years later, I was relating the story to a woman who had come to work at LBL while I was there, and *she* was one of the original discoverers/inventors of the Treap! It is truly a small world.

To make this relevant to the discussion... I don't think I could ever have come to recognize the value of such a data structure if I *hadn't* felt obliged to re-invent (re-implement?) a number of algorithms that had already been implemented by others... to differing degrees of quality.

- Steve