On 2/24/14, 12:03 PM, glen wrote:

Well, it's less about grudges or even disagreements about business practices or technology, and more about what you _learn_ from using a service/tool. If the objective is to learn, which I argue it should be, at least to some satisficing extent, then you want translucent tools/services.
Well, I want to know about compilers, because I depend on compilers for my work. For me, a satisfactory understanding there is a higher bar than understanding, say, how a car works. For that I can understand enough to type the 1-800 number for AAA into my mobile phone. If I were a Formula 1 car technician or a professional driver, I'd want to know my cars inside out.

I suppose learning about SMTP and IMAP and encryption protocols is at some level useful to everyone, to have a feel for what would be needed to intercept e-mail, or be defeated in doing so.

Marcus