On Fri, 2014-04-11 at 11:49 -0700, glen wrote:

> That's overshooting just a bit... too easy of a target to knock down
> because too few people would volunteer.

There are Sunday morning advertisements on TV for roll-on testosterone!
And of course it is very common for women to take hormone replacement.
Both are to some extent done out of vanity. Just go the other way a
smidge or ten.  Just experiencing such a parameter sweep would probably
make people change the way they think about the core of their identity.
It can't be that people do hormone replacement like this because they
want to be more `natural'.

In a way biochemical interventions would be easier to do than context
changing -- don't have to find a new job, move away from friends and
family, etc.

As for the openness thing, it seems to me what matters is whether
not-completely-open systems with membranes or formal interfaces like
city councils or criminal trials can be navigated given a reasonable
amount of energy.  Do the interfaces promote orderly communication or
just consolidation of power?

Marcus