Marcus wrote:

Just go the other way a smidge or ten.  Just experiencing such a parameter
sweep would probably make people change the way they think about the core of
their identity.  It can't be that people do hormone replacement like this
because they want to be more `natural'.

On some accounts, depression is not a disease but an adaptation to
subordinatation in a highly structured society that must, by its extremely
hierarchical nature, have many, many subordinate people.  (Think about a
tennis tournament as a social institution, a device for creating a situation
in which only one person wins!)  If you are going to lose anyway, bad policy
to try.  Better to wait your chance.  But then, in a highly structured
society, most people die waiting their chance.

So, enter prozac.  Shakes people out of their defensive  adaptation.

In short, if this account is correct, we are already feeding Prozac in at
the bottom of the hierarchy.  I wonder what happens to the social dynamics
of an exective group when some of the members start taking Prozac

Nick

Nicholas S. Thompson

Clark University