On 03/11/2015 03:41 PM, lrudo...@meganet.net wrote:
I'm trying to get at some aspects of the actual behavior of mathematicians.

Hardy_1 - "The function of a mathematician is [...] to prove new theorems"

"Hardy wrote his Apology at the end of his mathematical career, when he was
convinced, perhaps correctly, that “his creative powers as a mathematician at last, in
his sixties, [had] left him"

Hardy_3 - "The function of a mathematician is [...] to observe the facts about his
own intricate system of reality, [...] to record the results of his observations in a
series of maps, each of which is a branch of pure mathematics."

Rudolph - "truth is what they come to believe more firmly as they function better
[...] As such, truth is always conditional and subject to amendment:  but it has, always
and unconditionally, a net or web of meaning that anchors it pretty firmly to many
places"

You're spot on to note the change in defn before and after Hardy felt his
powers had left him.  And I'd like to use your own acuity to challenge your
defn of math truth.  One of the things that _all_ of us do, mathematicians
included, is become more conservative as we age.  As whatever powers we had
leave us, we are left with the fossils of the exercising of those powers.  This
is true of both the complete structure as well as the more sparse anchors set
more firmly amongst the less firm surroundings.  My guess is that it's those
anchors that _seed_ the crystal.  Whatever anchors we become convicted of ...
convinced of ... while younger, tend to accumulate cruft and barnacles, leading
to a stigmergic mess of arbitrarily decided and inflexible dogma ... that we
then carry to our graves.  (Unless we have a near-death epiphany ... no
atheists in foxholes, etc.)

What Hardy successfully exhibits with his change is the path from ideological
conviction to transpersonal _artifact_.  Just like science, what matters are
the artifacts you produce, the less semantically (and metaphorically) laden,
the better.  For math, it comes in the form of proofs.  For science, it comes
in the form of recipes that anyone with an equivalent sensorimotor manifold can
execute.

p.s. Just for full disclosure, I only read the first 6 and the last 3 pages of
your chapter ... just enough to form the above premature opinion in the context
of metaphor.  But the rest of it looks appetizing!  Thanks.
--
⇔ glen