Arlo writes:

“It is not some secret mystical human experience, nor does it have to be some
weird pop-culture cult, but just another way to spend some free time.”

I suppose the distinction I’m making is between open vs. closed or leading vs.
following.   With so much unknown in the world, why use hours of wakefulness to
enumerate the states of a finite state machine?   In what way is there anything
to discover from a game?   I appreciate there is a craft to making a storyline
and a craft to in designing the graphics and physics engines, and of course the
graphic arts in designing the visual appearance of characters.    But I
appreciate the story like I’d appreciate literature or art – I am not an expert
in those things, and so I am not a participant – I am merely a consumer.   On
the technology side, I can acknowledge that gaming software is sometimes
impressive.   But why _bother_ writing it _except_ to sell it?   Another way to
ask the question is how is it more significant to be a gamer than, say, a
reader of fiction or even a moviegoer?   How is being a gamer a Thing?

Marcus