You are venturing into the world of serious games.  Humans have always played
games to sharpen intellect, gain skills, refine tactics, understand the
ramifications of strategy, and entertain themselves.  I'm currently helping to
author a paper about the security requirements of serious games, so this
subject is fresh in my mind.

As hunter-gatherers, humans allowed their children to play hide and seek, use
child-sized weapons, and hunt small game.  These were practice games for
adulthood.

This concept of transforming necessary military skills and learning them by
games, either as children or later as adults, has continued throughout human
history.  In the 1800s, the Prussians added to the physical games with tabletop
(or sandtable top) intellectual games that abstracted military units and
allowed future officers to play without having to use real people, animals, and
supplies.  That game was called Kriegspiel and has continued to evolve to this
day.

Chess is sometimes considered the original Kriegspiel.  Most historians agree
it is derived from Chaturanga, invented in the Gupta Empire somewhere between
280 and 550 CE.  Modern chess was formalized from the derivative of shatranj
(Muslim version from the original) in about 900-1000 CE in southern Europe.  As
a game, chess trains the player to think ahead, understand the consequences of
their actions, and generally improves the mind.

In the age of Industrial Warfare new weapons, new logistics, new
transportation, new communication methods, and the sheer size of armies
required games to understand the bitter lessons learned in wars.  These games
were physical games to learn how all of these factors interact in the physical
world before they could be abstracted to the tabletop as Kriegspiel.  As late
as the buildup to the US entry into WWII, the Army held huge maneuver exercises
in the South to practice and understand how war was already being fought in
Europe.

Those large, physical games still take place, but as computers have become more
and more important parts of the military, the games have added computers.
These computers have themselves effectively created a fifth domain for military
conflict (after Land, Sea, Air, and Space) which most authorities call
Cyberspace.  The interesting aspect of this is that, increasingly, the other
domains are being abstracted into Cyberspace.  A pilot might either fly a
physical airplane as part of an exercise or they may fly a simulator.  Either
way, their actions are translated to a scorekeeping mechanism that is automated.

There is an interesting trend within the videogame community where players
create modifications of the game they love playing.  I get Amazon Local emails
because of my Prime membership, and one offer I have seen a lot, recently, is a
course to teach a child how to create mods for Minecraft.  Modding Minecraft
involves learning Java, understanding the data storage scheme of the game, and
understanding the "physics engine" of Minecraft.  This all translates to skills
useful in programming and software systems engineering.  Mods for other games
are similiar in nature.

The bottom line here is that games have been one of mankind's way of learning
and researching for a very long time.  Some games are more valuable for
learning specific things while others are more entertaining.  Just as not
everybody needs and wants to do "productive" work, not everybody needs and
wants to play strictly serious games like agent-based simulation (yes, I am
saying that many of the folks on this list are playing games in their work and
research).  There is a spectrum of entertainment that describes games - some
games are strictly business and some games are a little business with lots of
entertainment.  Entertainment can be necessary to entice players to the game to
learn.  Sometimes, the entertainment becomes the primary goal of the players
and any learning is purely happenstance.

Personally, I like games because they help me hone my bad guy skills.  In a
very few cases, I learn new real-world attacks from the game content, usually
from seeing other people try things that I assumed would not work.  More often,
I figure out how to use the game functions to win more easily - something that
equates directly to using a system with computers to attack itself.
Occasionally, I learn how to break the computer program behind the game in a
way that works for non-game computer programs.

Ray Parks
Consilient Heuristician/IDART Old-Timer
V: 505-844-4024  M: 505-238-9359  P: 505-951-6084
NIPR: rcpa...@sandia.gov<mailto:rcpa...@sandia.gov>
SIPR: rcpar...@sandia.doe.sgov.gov<mailto:rcpar...@sandia.doe.sgov.gov> (send
NIPR reminder)
JWICS: dopa...@doe.ic.gov<mailto:dopa...@doe.ic.gov> (send NIPR reminder)