"Interesting vs. boring is orthogonal.  So, there's interesting-hard and
boring-hard.  I'll accept money for either type of work, though I much prefer
interesting-hard ... obviously."

How about engaging, imaginative, educational, or surprising work vs. detail
work.   Doing detail work may be delayed gratification or it can no purpose
other than to respond to extrinsic motivation.    Remove the extrinsic
motivation (money), and it is boring and depressing.

Ok, if one is tasked with making an app to print checks, it could be
educational to learn how to put widgets on a screen or to do page layout.  What
that discovery process is over, either another naïve person is needed or
extrinsic motivation.

Marcus