Both of these comments touch on something that irritates me quite a bit.  Because I have
a chip on my shoulder and enjoy confrontation, I regularly apply for jobs even when I'm
only a tiny bit interested in changing jobs.  (Plus, who knows?  Maybe someone will make
a really good offer.)  In doing so, I often apply for jobs for which I'm "over
qualified".  I don't get paid much for what I _am_ qualified to do.  So, it wouldn't
be much of a hit to take a job for which I'm over qualified.  These jobs almost always
have something educational about them.  I regard the education as part of the
compensation.  I'm willing to take a lot less money in exchange for the chance to
learn-on-the-job.

The interviewers never seem to understand that point.  When it comes down to the
practicals of offering me a job, they often get caught by my inadequate answers to the
question "Why would you want to do these jobs, for this salary?  Why give up what
you have already?"  I don't know ... YOLO?  It happens so often, perhaps I should be
less enthusiastic about whatever projects I'm working on at any given time.  Maybe if I'm
all grumpy about the sh!t I have to do, I'd get less complaints about me being over
qualified for some other job ... which obviously I'm not.  My incompetence knows no
bounds.  I've never had a boring job, from selling carpet water proofing door-to-door, to
sacking groceries, selling electronic parts at the university store, flowcharting
assembly code for obsolete avionics, etc.  There are always boring tasks to every job,
but the jobs have never been boring in their entirety.

In any case, it seems to me like incentive is always weaker than motivation,
regardless of the dimensions involved.  But, then again, I'm a white male from
a middle-class household in the US.  So, surely that biases me.