I'm not sure if anyone knows yet, but Win10 (MS Spyware) should upgrade for
free.  Give Microsoft's past and current emphasis on licensing, particularly in
Enterprise systems, I suspect that the free upgrades will cease in the future
and a new version of Windows will come out, requiring one buy it (and the
hardware it drives).

At work, I have an MSDN subscription ($2K per year but there are cheaper) that
gives me access to every MS product from legacy to absolutely current.

At home, I make do with whatever came with my laptop.

When I built my own systems, they ran Slackware, Mandrake Linux (now Mandriva),
and Debian.  If I were to choose a Linux distro for a new system, I would
probably use Slackware or I might get out of the Linux world and use a BSD.

If you're going to go with Win10 - the Pro version ($139 vs $99 for home on
NewEgg) will give you more control over updates.  I'd consider Win8.1 or Win7
(still available) rather than mess with the spyware.  Amazon prices seem
slightly lower for Pro and higher for Win7 Home and lower for Win8 Home.

  Upgrading hardware can be a problem but you can usually limit the problem.
The biggest difficult is with motherboards/CPUs.  Each family of CPUs has a
different socket and the motherboards have different chipsets to support each
family of CPUs.  That said, you can pick a socket and chipset that is the most
current and it will probably be supported for some time to come.  The socket
and chipset for the Intel Haswell chips is the same as at least a couple of
generations of CPU previous.  AMD's sockets have been the same for several
years although the chipsets have changed.  If you get an LGA1151 socket
motherboard (Skylake), right now, it will probably last for several of Intel's
Tick-Tock cycles.

  The chipset and motherboard also are limited to supporting features that were
current at the time of purchase or can be upgraded by firmware.  For example,
USB 2.0 was the standard a few years ago and the changes to USB3.0 and USB3.1
have been hardware changes that firmware updates can't achieve.  If you bought
an LGA1150 (good up through I7-5775) motherboard before USB3.0 came out, you
would be stuck with only that - unless you added a third-party board (usually
fits in a PCI slot).  Disk drives and even SSDs have used SATA for a long time,
but there have been improvements (we're currently up to SATA 3, I think).
However, the newest motherboards support M.2 and PCIe SSDs.  In most cases, the
difference is one of performance and ordinary users won't care.

  To answer your specific questions -

        faster CPU upgrade is usually doable with a firmware upgrade (buy an
LGA1151 socket board if you want future-proofing)
        RAM upgrades in size of ram cards (i.e. switching from 4GB to 8GB) are
mostly limited by the motherboard firmware and vendors usually make it possible
        new GPU is usually doable - these have been PCI for some time - but you
may not get the full benefit of the performance improvement (i.e. a PCI-16 GPU
can use a PCI-8 slot but not as fast)

Ray Parks
Consilient Heuristician/IDART Old-Timer
V: 505-844-4024  M: 505-238-9359  P: 505-951-6084
NIPR: rcpa...@sandia.gov
SIPR: rcpar...@sandia.doe.sgov.gov (send NIPR reminder)
JWICS: dopa...@doe.ic.gov (send NIPR reminder)