Just looked at the systems built for between $400-$800.
    http://pcpartpicker.com/guide/#X=39404,82077&sort=d3&page=1
I sorted it by date because I found that several parts were no longer
available when sorting by popularity.

Also, the OS was $90 generally for Windows 8.x, and often left off the
overall price. Linux and OSX have free OS's nowadays, so was a bit
surprised at that added cost. Also the shipping sometimes said Free but now
is $4.00.

The Tech Report http://techreport.com/review/29012/system-guide-current
was superb, great way to learn how to build a system with
good explanations on each part of the builds.

I think if I were building a system, I'd start with their budget system and
upgrade a few parts.

So I'm left with a few questions:
- Once you buy Windows, do you get upgrades for free?
- How interoperable are the pieces within a given form factor? I.e. if in 3
years I can afford to amp it up a bit, should it be easy to upgrade to a
faster CPU? More RAM?, A new graphics card (assuming I don't have an
integrated one)?

My guess that's asking for a lot but possibly keeping within a given family
of devices might let me be more future-proof.

   -- Owen