John,
First, the sad part, it is unclear how any of this relates to gaining
consensus about individual events. I think it should, but others shouldn't.
Let me lay out the problem:

We wonder whether a given baseball is the one thrown for a particular
strike during a particular game. What unique properties would such a ball
have? There are two types of answers we might seek.

One is a unique configuration of differences, i.e., the ball had a mixture
of resin and spit used by a particular pitcher to doctor their pitch, and
was the only one of its kind to have been made at the factory with a
one-off improper spelling of the company name. In such a case we may apply
the scientific process to determine if the ball in question has those
properties, and (potentially) determine the extent to which those
properties are actually unique. That is, we could test through empirical
method, all consequences of the claim that the ball in question is The
Ball.

The other type of answer we might seek is via "providence"; i.e., there is
nothing unique about the ball itself, but there is other evidence it might
be of historic importance. We might have a picture of the ump tossing a
ball to a particular kid, record of that kid giving it over to an auction
house several years later, that auction house selling it to Rich Guy A, who
owned a storage unit, in which Rich Guy B found *a* *ball *(after A's
death) along with the paperwork referenced and associated photos. Here we
could test, through the empirical method, all sorts of claims about the
providence itself (was it printed on the right type of paper, does the
signature look authentic, etc.) but there is nothing to test about the ball
pre se.

In *either *case it is unclear that investigating history would resemble
making a scientific claim, because scientific claims are about
generalities, not individual events. To claim that vinegar will dissolve
calcium build ups is a very different type of thing than to claim that this
ball is The Ball. The science above is not direct at the veracity of the
historical claims, but rather it is directed at some things that would be
true about the objects in front of us, were those historic claims true.

Even worse, I think Peirce would assert that unless there is something
about the ball itself that is in question, the question of whether it is
The Ball is nonsensical.

Whew! I hope some of that was relevant.

Best,
Eric

Eric P. Charles, Ph.D.
Lab Manager
Center for Teaching, Research, and Learning
American University, Hurst Hall Room 203A
4400 Massachusetts Avenue, N.W.
Washington, DC 20016
phone: (202) 885-3867   fax: (202) 885-1190
email: echar...@american.edu