Trying to bring things to this thread... John said:
*The crucial questions then, are do you see any talk about "what really
happened in the past" as some sort of delusion? Would you go one step
further and say the concept that there is a truth about what happened in
the past is delusional, for example "We have no way of knowing for certain
whether Charlemagne ate eggs on a particulr day during his life(Say January
1, 800 ad) but there is a truth about the matter (either he did or did not)
even though it is a truth we can never fully determine?*

I think Peirce would try to dissolve this controversy . He would say, I
think, that the question "Did Charlemagne eat eggs on January 1st, 800 ad?"
can only sensibly be understood as the question "Conceive of everything
that would be true of the world now, had the event in question occurred. Do
all investigations thereby implied pan out?"

John likely finds that to be an ugly, crude abuse of his idea. In protest
he might assert: "That isn't it at all! I am interested in whether
Charlemagne ate eggs *then*, and not about anything now. It makes no
difference now!"

At that point, Peirce would, in a rare instance of generosity, look towards
his friend James with gentle nod. James would get quite excited and
proclaim triumphantly that "A difference which makes no difference is no
difference at all."

Then quickly, before James could go further and say something upsetting,
Peirce would jump back in and ask, "If *Charlemagne did it* has all the
same consequences as *Charlemagne didn't do it*, then what on earth do YOU
think you are getting on about?"

And.... most likely.... a Wittgensteinian silence would ensue.

Now, on the other hand, if you COULD give a list of things that would be
distinct about the world, had that event happened, then the conversation
might proceed differently. But that is typically not possible. Note, that
doesn't make all claims about the past flawed. For example, there are
geologists who investigate what rocks will look like at different depths in
different locations, based on different hypotheses about how the earth was
millennia ago, and how tectonic plates have moved in the meantime. That is
good science in Peirce's view. However, that moves us away from claims
about individual events (see prior email regarding The Baseball), and
towards testing hypotheses that resemble standard scientific hypotheses.

That is not to say that *nothing *is at stake in the investigation about
Charlemagne's eating habits, it is simply to say that "truth" does not come
into it.

Old Peirce would, I think simply declare that. I like younger Peirce
better. Younger Peirce often explicitly presents himself as explaining the
world view of the scientist. Thus, were this about just the parts of Peirce
I like best, I would modify the prior: "Truth" *as the scientist
understands it* does not come into it.

Were I to say that, James would smile, and pat me on the back heroically.
Meanwhile, Peirce would get to work writing an entire book about how I am
an intellectual incompetent, and might well rename his entire system simply
to avoid association with anything I had said.

Best,
Eric

Eric P. Charles, Ph.D.
Lab Manager
Center for Teaching, Research, and Learning
American University, Hurst Hall Room 203A
4400 Massachusetts Avenue, N.W.
Washington, DC 20016
phone: (202) 885-3867   fax: (202) 885-1190
email: echar...@american.edu