Russ, you asked about both "subjective" and "experience". I did my best to
answer about both.

What I mean by "experience" is probably best answered by my quote from
Dewey. I fancy myself a very good writer... but not better than Dewey. I
mean an actual, in the moment, experiencing of a thing. In the most general
and non-technical sense of the word "thing."

Beyond that, I think that when we analyze the "experience" relationship, we
find that it consists of what could properly be labeled "behavior" (or,
perhaps, a physiological orientation towards certain behavior, although I'm
not *as *comfortable with that). That is, to "experience something" is to
be reacting to it, with a few caveats thrown in to make it clear than not
all reactions count.

Eric P. Charles, Ph.D.
Lab Manager
Center for Teaching, Research, and Learning
American University, Hurst Hall Room 203A
4400 Massachusetts Avenue, N.W.
Washington, DC 20016
phone: (202) 885-3867   fax: (202) 885-1190
email: echar...@american.edu