“That set up has the benefit, among other things, of making the question you
raise a clearly scientifically tractable issue. There should be no difference
in how we go about trying to answer the question "what is iron" or "what is
gorilla" or "what is the rate of sea level rise" and how we go about answering
the question "what is hunger."

Starve/feed an animal and watch what hormones are released and what axons
fire.. A predictive model of detailed physiology that also predicts
feeding/rest behavior and that maintains energy balance and generalizes across
the species explains hunger.   Other outgoing connections from the hypothalamus
to other areas are strings worth pulling, but if activity in those parts of the
brain aren’t predictive of feeding behavior they are a result of hunger and not
hunger itself.

Marcus