Russ, I'm going through past notes in relation to my talk tomorrow. I think
this addresses your question:

There have been many attempts to define Radical Behaviorism. Most attempts
are in terms of inclusion and exclusion, i.e. what radical behaviorists
talk about, and what they do not talk about. More often definitions focus
on solely on exclusion, providing a negative definition in which
behaviorists are defined based on what they don’t do, rather than on what
they do. However, this minimizes the profoundness of the approach. A
simple, positive definition is: *Radical behaviorists claim that all
questions about psychology are questions about behavior.* One is tempted to
say something like “all interesting questions about psychology”, but that
is unnecessary, as the converse of the above claim is also made: All
questions that are not about behavior are not about psychology. These
claims are historic and inclusive; the behaviorist is not trying to
redefine psychology, rather to point out what psychology has always been.
Thus, behaviorists are not, as is commonly believed, trying to deny the
existence of phenomenon typically handled by psychology. Quite to the
contrary, they are trying to argue the traditional questions can only be
answered through careful observation and analysis of behavior.

For example: You might ask: “At the dinner table, my child is really good
at telling me what happened in school each day. How does he remember what
happened earlier in the day?”

The behaviorist asserts that your question can be answered completely, and
without remainder, by explaining how your child’s behavior becomes a
function of things that happened in the past. In particular, it sounds like
you are interested in how his verbal behavior comes to be a function of
what happened earlier. That is, to see how a child develops the ability to
remember, we must (at a minimum) start with a child whose behavior is not a
function of the past events, and observe them until their behavior is a
function of the past events. If we determine what changed, we will know how
he “remembers”.

You might protest: “But that doesn’t *really* answer the question. A child
could correctly report what happened earlier without remembering! They
could be responding to cues you gave them, making lucky guesses, or
remembering the homework they just finished rather than the class lesson
from hours ago.”

True enough. You *have* correctly identified one way in which the
behaviorist’s version of the question is difficult to answer, but the term
“function of” does not merely mean that the events correspond in any
particular case. It is not enough to know that the verbal behavior matches
a particular past event, the verbal behavior must be a function of those
past events. To know that the child remembers the past event, we must
demonstrate not merely that the two events correspond, but that the latter
event changes as a function of the specific earlier events in question,
rather than as a function of alternative past or present factors. [1]
<#_ftn1>

It is likely that determining whether or not a given pattern of verbal
answers is a function of earlier events will require us to observe many
situations that have not yet been observed, and perhaps even situations
that would not occur naturally, i.e. we may need to manipulate variables in
an experiment. Yes, the empirical burden is difficult to meet; however, the
fact remains that once I answer the question of how behavior becomes a
function of past events, I will have answered the question of how children
come to “remember things.”

------------------------------

[1] <#_ftnref1>               This is just as it is not enough for
physicists to show that a single object happened to fall towards the center
of the earth, they demonstrated that objects move as a function of the
center of mass of other objects – move the center of mass, and the
movements of nearby objects changes accordingly.

Eric P. Charles, Ph.D.
Lab Manager
Center for Teaching, Research, and Learning
American University, Hurst Hall Room 203A
4400 Massachusetts Avenue, N.W.
Washington, DC 20016
phone: (202) 885-3867   fax: (202) 885-1190
email: echar...@american.edu