Thanks Glen. For me even the state machine isn't quite enough. A state
machine version wouldn't even in principle distinguish between a
robot/zombie and a living being. One might argue that there is no
difference, but I'm not ready to go there.

Also, I liked my square-root-of-2 analogy. I hope someone comments on it. I
also liked my question about whether a convincing drawing of a cartoon
character in pain creates pain. I hope someone comments on that one also.